Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Where Do I Go From Here?

So I know I said I wasn't going to focus on my career anymore...but this is all very new and scary for me.  The area of law that I had planned to specialize in since undergrad, and most of my legal career has been devoted to is slowly becoming obsolete.  I am currently spending another $30,000 to kick up my specialization in this area to the next level.  So...with my savings currently dwindling faster and faster and no hope for a job in this specialization anytime in the near future or even in the next 3 years, what should my next step be?

I mean I guess it would be silly to stop working towards my degree.  Maybe things will change in the practice area.  Maybe Congress will figure out that at some point they are going to have to raise revenue to reduce the deficit.  I have already spent $15,000 dollars on the first semester.  I have signed a year lease in Gainesville.  I could really use that student loan money.  Also, I have already told EVERYBODY that I am getting a masters in tax law, so if I stop there will be the whispers about me being a quitter. 

But since I have NO money except for borrowed funds to pay rent, gas and groceries, I have to figure out at some point how I am going to get a paycheck eventually.  So if I continue my job search, what kind of job should I be searching for?  Should I keep lying to myself that I am going to be a tax lawyer?  Should I try to get a different law job and fake being good at litigation?  Should I plan on starting my own law practice to further myself in debt and starve for the next 5 years living with my parents?  Should I go back to my undergraduate degree and become a banker or do something in Finance?  Or should I just be an aerobics instructor?

I don't know what to do.  I know I am not supposed to be focusing on this, but I feel irresponsible for not having some sort of plan of what I am going to do with my life.  HELP!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment